Saturday, April 21, 2012

1940s Walt Disney Studios Commissary Restaurant Menu


This menu from the Walt Disney Studio's restaurant is the variant that features Mickey ringing the dinner bell with Donald, Goofy and Pluto in the background.  I would guess that this was the standard menu for the studio restaurant during the 1940s.
Inside it mentions 2.5% sales tax, which is smallest tax rater I've ever seen on a studio menu.  Fortunately there  is an OPA ceiling prices statement dated 1943, which means this is during WWII, which coincides with the historical tax rate data I found listing 2.5% as between 1943-1949.
Interestingly, I also have a variant of this that only has the cover illustration; no contents of any kind. Perhaps it was designed for special occasions or to hold temporary menus printed on separate sheets. I've never seen another like it.

eBay listing

No comments: