Friday, April 20, 2012

1940s Walt Disney Studios Counter Service Menu

I love this next one, the cover pictures Mickey flippin' eggs behind the counter.  Oddly enough, it is not a breakfast menu.  These 1940s menus are large in size, about 9 x 14 inches.
The back cover is cool too, as it features Donald as a soda jerk, with lots of ice creamy treats.
I recently found a historical list of California sales tax rates, 3% (as is printed on this menu) leads me to believe that this menu dates from as early as 1949, and based on the characters I'm guessing 1940s or 1950s.  How cool is it that you could get a Schlitz at the studio commissary?

I do have another copy of this menu that is slightly later as some of the prices are 5 cents higher, and some of the individual items have changed.
Oddly, some of the items on the fountain menu on the back have been blacked out - guess they ran out!
eBay listing

No comments: